July 9, 2008

Creating Photoshop Brushes....{creations}

Currently working my children's baby albums (just a few years behind), and it came to my attention, that 1. I forgot where I put all of their keepsakes, and 2. poor Jack Jack has no foot or hand prints. Gosh, I'm so bummed...but I have to get over this sadness, because things are there, just misplaced for now :)
I've been creating baby albums of my kids and for a couple of clients using album templates from Jamie Schultz Designs and from Tina Parker of My Lil' Creations, and with these, I wanted to add personal touches of my baby's feet and hands, as well as scanned images of the ultrasound photos so that these lil' memories will be cherished forever. My final books are being printed through Asuka, but I did not want to "ink" up my pages with my smudged babies hands and feet. So this is where you as a photographer can create your custom brushes for your clients.

First of all, go to Michaels and get the washable safe printing/stamping black ink. Your baby will hate it, but Mommy will love the end result!!! Stamp the baby's feet and hands onto white paper. You've already established the black/white contrast, so now you can do a little less in Photoshop.

Scan your prints at 300-600dpi and save the image as a jpeg.

Load your image into Photoshop (this will work in Photoshop Elements, too!!!). If all you had was colored ink with white paper...that is OK. Just convert your image to black and white; with an image like this all you need to do is select your saturation layer and desaturate by moving the saturation slider all the way to the left (flatten the image or merge your layer if you do this step). Add a little contrast to boost the sharpness if needed.

Now that you have your BW image, we will need to extract your custom brush. Select your Polygonal Lasso Tool and draw around one of the objects.

In my example, I drew around Maddie's right foot (oops, my right...it is actually left, sorry).
Now go to: Edit > Define brush... It will pop up a window showing properties of your
new brush. Enter name and click OK.

Now go to the brush tool and pull down your brush menu. Viola....there's the little foot.

When there are more brushes on the list you would like to keep, save them as a brush library
(or set). Choose Brushes > Save brushes..., enter name, save and you're done :)

reference tutorial: Creating and Using Brushes in Photoshop by In Obscuro

And here's an example of the finished product using Tina's Sugar & Spice Baby Album Template.


Load the psd file that she provides. In your layers palette, create a new layer right above the layer called, "block for footprints". Choose your color...I chose the chocolate color that she provided around the template's edging. Select your brush and stamp that cute lil' foot onto the layer. To stamp the other foot, I would recommend creating another new layer. I then used the transform tool for each "footie" layer to either straighten or to make it a more realistic stamping. And there you go.

enjoy!!
-denise:)

8 comments:

Teresa said...

Beautiful. Now I have another project to add to my list of projects to do!

Drew---who is almost two--has yet to have his photo album started yet!

I am so bad about keeping everything in online albums....

I love the layout and the colors.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Terri Paulson-Sasaki said...

So want to try this. Thanks for the information.

Denise Marie Olson said...

Thanks Teresa and Terri....!!

Terri, stay cool. It's hot as blazes up here!!

Teresa, we need to sit down and talk ProShow...love your work!!!!

-denise:)

Teresa said...

Thanks Denise, anytime!

Now if I can get my Canon to act like yours....I will be all set.

Ha!

Holly Havenhill said...

Great tutorial! Thanks! Need to start my daughter's album... she's 18 months...when i get time...

Tina Parker said...

Thank you SO MUCH Denise, for sharing how you did this!!!
I want to see the rest of your book ;)

Tina

Denise Marie Olson said...

Thanks Holly!! I'm three years behind...and haven't even started my son's photos. He'll be two in Sept!!!

Thank you Tina and you are welcome. Still plugging away. If only I had 48 hours in a day, where 24 was devoted to me!!!! sigh......

kymberli q. said...

Oh my goodness, thanks for sharing this, Denise! It looks beautiful and I'll definitely be trying it down the line!